Thursday 20 November 2008

Online Learning Community Charter

I'm working my way through the IOCT activities and I'm currently on Part B - creating a charter, I have enjoyed this activity although at times I have had to stop myself and think about what I'm writing as I have started to repeat myself from what I had written for Part A.

Thinking about the community in which I am learning has made me realise that it is a very special community, with a great wealth of knowledge, experience and expertise. I know that all of these things are going to come in handy over the next 3 years!!

I have written about peer reviews and I realised that although I do give feedback everyday in my job, it is something that I need to work on within the community, not just giving it but also by making sure that it is quality feedback that I give. I need to to follow the rules that I tell my students to.

That it needs to be clear, concise. that they they must acknowledge the effort that the owner has gone to in creating the piece of work, an indication of what they liked about the work and what improvements could be made. We call it "2 PP's and 1CC" although I know some people call it "2 kisses and a hug", I think that this is a sweet name but I'm not sure that my co-researchers would like it!! I think that this form of feedback is something that we should adopt as we would all know what to give and what to expect. Making the quality of feedback appropriate to everyone no matter what their professional and educational background was. The risk of offending anyone would be lifted and the process of giving feedback would be more enjoyable and productive.

Well it's only a few days before our first hand-in date is upon us and I'm sure that there is going to be a few late nights ahead of all of us, but on a positive note (for me anyway) I only have 21 more getup's before we break up for Christmas!!

No comments: