Wednesday 4 February 2009

New Year, New Module, New Way of Thinking

I am in the process of reading about Reflective Practice and at times I have found it very hard going and I'm not totally sure way or even if I have a good enough understanding of it all.

I think that I was struggling to begin with because I started reading Schon and for me I think that this was the wrong place to start, I found it all too heavy and very wordy, not only was I read his theory/model but I also hard to have a dictionary at my side to understand some of the words that he was using, it all just didn't seem to make sense. Then I came across a website that put his theory in a scenario. which really helped, it also explained it much more simpler terms, which has since encouraged me to find out more.

I have to say though that I really like Gibbs Reflective cycle, I think maybe it is because he takes in account emotions and feelings, which I can really relate to, especially with my job. I am often reflecting back on how a lesson has gone, looking at what worked well/not so well, trying to find ways that I can change my lesson to engage all of the students to make it a much more productive lesson.

I guess that I have been more of a reflective practitioner than I first thought!

I have to say that I have felt under pressure to make a post with in FirstClass forum, especially with me not having a great understanding of this topic yet, however I have made a post and although I haven't had any feedback from it yet, I feel a lot better having dripped my toes in the water! Having not had any feedback, I am guessing (fingers crossed) that I am not too far of the mark with the post that I made, I hoped that if I was completely off the mark then someone would have (hopefully) told me and point me in the right direction or at least helped me on the right track!!

I am intending to do some more reading and look at other theories and models so that I feel more competent with this subject, so for now it's back to the books for me!!

1 comment:

lydia arnold said...

Hi Kirstie, reflection itself is really quite a straight forward idea, looking back on your work to see what you could do better (and how). However many of the texts that are written on this subject are very hard going, so it's not you! Use the general resources and 'cherry pick' papers to support your writing - rather than feeling that you have to read and take in too much.